Fintan Lawlor, Partner, is a leading expert in the area of Data Protection in Ireland, becoming the first and only solicitor in Ireland to obtain an award of damages for a breach of the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003. He has acted on behalf of numerous clients whose data protection rights have been breached by telecommunication companies, State bodies, Financial institutions, medical practices, companies, employers to name but a few.
In addition to his work on behalf of those whose rights have been breached, Fintan Lawlor also offers a data protection consultancy service for companies to ensure they are operating in compliance with the legislation.
Never before has there been such awareness in this area and it is vital for companies, both small and large, to engage proper privacy and data protection policies in the day to day running of their business.
Lawlor Partners offers the following as part of their data protection consultancy service;
- Guidance in relation to the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 and the relevant provisions for companies.
- Advice in relation to the distinction between data controllers and data processors, often companies are unsure of their specific roles under the legislation therefore are unclear of their obligations under the legislation.
- Advice for data protection officers in relation to drafting internal data protection policies and procedures for companies, striking a balance between ensuring compliance and not engaging overly burdensome policies which hinder the day to day running of the business.
- Advises for data protection officers in relation to drafting agreements, contracts for data controllers/processors.
- Advice in relation to the duties and obligation of both data processors and data controllers under the Acts,
- Advice in relation to duties of controllers and processors where work is outsourced to other companies.
- Advice in relation to data protection for anti-money laundering legislation in the context of data protection.
- Presentations to staff/groups regarding the principles of data protection.
Through his experience of representing clients whose rights have been breached, Fintan Lawlor has gained invaluable insight into the practical application of the 1988 and 2003 Acts and the extent to which companies who do not invoke proper data protection policies thereby leavingthemselves open and exposed to potential breaches/fines/compensation claims.
For more information on the nature of our past data protection work please see our data protections website.